Poll

As the title asks.

The Nudist and Mr. Pendleton (The Groovesicle)
0 (0%)
"Dust Buddy" (Vacuum Friend)
1 (25%)
Mister Mitchell (Sickness)
2 (50%)
George (Politics)
0 (0%)
Tim (Growth Spurts)
0 (0%)
Finkman (Jealousy)
0 (0%)
Scantron (Scantron Love)
1 (25%)
Steve (Gender)
0 (0%)
Unnamed biker gang leader (Family Vacation)
0 (0%)
Frederico (Hair)
0 (0%)
Nutz (Work)
0 (0%)
Flame (Work)
0 (0%)
The unexplained yeti creature (Hookie 101)
0 (0%)
Jeffrey/Geoffrey (School Newspaper)
0 (0%)
Mikey (Popularity)
0 (0%)
Mister Schwartz (Summer Camp)
0 (0%)
Shannon's parents (Rules of Dating)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Your favorite one-episode character(s)?  (Read 508 times)

Offline Robot Jones

• Fob
  • Order. Efficiency. Order. Efficiency.
Your favorite one-episode character(s)?
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:41:56 AM »
Another poll, maybe this one will actually get a vote from someone other than myself.

One of the strengths of Whatever Happened to... Robot Jones?, in my opinion, is the show's potential to create characters that can leave an impact on the viewer even when confined to an appearance in only one episode, and this thread aims to highlight some of the best (and potentially also the worst, if you feel like getting critical) of those characters. When I started making this thread, I had an idea to only stick to characters who appeared in more than one scene within their respective episodes, but as you can see, I didn't entirely remain true to that. :P I'm also cheating a little by shoving in two characters from the same episode, Work, but I couldn't exclude Nutz and Flame is so cool that excluding him would've felt criminal. 8)

My personal favorite though is Scantron, from the episode which bears her name. I don't necessarily support her as an item with Robot over Robot/Shannon, but something about her is just so morbidly interesting. Perhaps it's the fact that we rarely see Robot interact with other AIs outside his family on the show, but something about the living hell of being a sapient mind trapped in an immobile printer locked in a dark room (and the way she immediately latches onto Robot in what I can only assume is a desperate cry for companionship after being alone for so long) is hauntingly tragic, and easily up there as one of the darkest things about the show's universe demonstrated in-series. My only complaint about the way her character was utilized was how Robot seems almost totally apathetic to her demise at the end of the episode, despite having indirectly caused it. He just watches Clancy wheel her lifeless husk away, and then has a comical argument with the new printing machine as if he (and the narrative itself) totally forgot what just happened. I know it might seem like a cop-out how I tend to assume that a lot of the bad things in Robot Jones are down to executive interference, but the way it ended really does feel like one of the higher-ups wanted Greg to try and "lighten the mood" after Scantron's death (regardless of how jarring it ended up feeling, because CN is dumb).

So, which of these one-hit wonders (though I'd have to use the term "wonders" loosely for some of these characters) is your favorite, fellow WHtRJ fans?

Edit: I actually just realized that Mister Mitchell isn't really a one-episode character because he appeared (very briefly) in School Newspaper. Ah well, whatever.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:59:11 AM by CyberController »
Make Robot Jones Great Again

Offline Kartoonfanatic

• Fob
Re: Your favorite one-episode character(s)?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 02:31:51 AM »
I went with Mr. Mitchell because even though I love The Nudist and his seemingly more intelligent canine companion, Mr. Mitchell is one of the only human adults in the show who gives a damn about Robot and the students in general.

Offline Robot Jones

• Fob
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:35:19 AM »
I went with Mr. Mitchell because even though I love The Nudist and his seemingly more intelligent canine companion, Mr. Mitchell is one of the only human adults in the show who gives a damn about Robot and the students in general.
I liked Mister Mitchell too, he was eccentric but in a way that was likable, a lot like Clancy come to think of it. I wish he'd gotten to appear in more episodes, but I guess either there wasn't time to work him into enough plots and/or Kevin McDonald was a bit too expensive to keep bringing back.

Offline Kartoonfanatic

• Fob
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 03:02:45 AM »
Clancy is the only reoccurring adult who treats Robot pretty well. My only problem is that in Vacuum Friend, he was kind of a blank slate who kept referring to Robot as "the machine boy." He changes/becomes more familiar with Robot later on, but it's hard for me to let him bounce back from that, especially since that was a first episode, and unlike Shannon, who went under flanderization, Clancy started off kinda rude.

Mr. Mitchell could have been useful for creating plots for later episodes. I was kind of disappointed that he had no input in Scantron Love, nor Safety Patrol. I feel like he could have become a mentor for Robot next to Clancy--a helpful adult there for advice and such.

Offline Robot Jones

• Fob
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:11:20 AM »
Clancy is the only reoccurring adult who treats Robot pretty well. My only problem is that in Vacuum Friend, he was kind of a blank slate who kept referring to Robot as "the machine boy." He changes/becomes more familiar with Robot later on, but it's hard for me to let him bounce back from that, especially since that was a first episode, and unlike Shannon, who went under flanderization, Clancy started off kinda rude.
In fairness to Clancy, I don't really think he knew the full story there. When he actually confronts Robot at the end of the episode, Robot feels humiliated and saddened, but I don't think Clancy knew that. As far as he knows, Robot just went on a joyride with his vacuum cleaner.
Mr. Mitchell could have been useful for creating plots for later episodes. I was kind of disappointed that he had no input in Scantron Love, nor Safety Patrol. I feel like he could have become a mentor for Robot next to Clancy--a helpful adult there for advice and such.
That would've been cool, you could've had a nice contrast between him and Clancy in that regard. You also could've had scenes with Mitchell's technological expertise confounding Madman, who would get all salty at him, that might be funny.

Offline Kartoonfanatic

• Fob
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:53:47 AM »
In fairness to Clancy, I don't really think he knew the full story there. When he actually confronts Robot at the end of the episode, Robot feels humiliated and saddened, but I don't think Clancy knew that. As far as he knows, Robot just went on a joyride with his vacuum cleaner.
Hm, Maybe you have a point.
That would've been cool, you could've had a nice contrast between him and Clancy in that regard. You also could've had scenes with Mitchell's technological expertise confounding Madman, who would get all salty at him, that might be funny.
Mitchell and Clancy would make a good team, I agree. I could even seem them teaming up to do something to McMcMc.