Author Topic: Matching art styles in RJ eps  (Read 2212 times)

Offline VeggieTalesFan

• Bounder
  • Unless someone cares, nothing will change...
Matching art styles in RJ eps
« on: August 10, 2014, 05:17:55 PM »
I noticed that certain episodes of Robot Jones had similar art styles. Here are some of the episodes I compare the same art styles to:

1. PU to PE and Summer Camp have the same art styles to each other.
2. Embarrassment, Politics, Jealousy, Gender, Garage Band, Hookie 101, and Rules of Dating have the same art styles to each other.
3. Family Vacation, House Party, and Popularity have the same art styles to each other.
4. Math Challenge, The Yogmans Strike Back, and School Newspaper have the same art styles to each other (Hair was a little strange because it kinda looks like The Yogmans Strike Back).
5. Sickness, Work, and Safety Patrol have the same art styles to each other.
6. Cube Wars and Growth Spurts have the same art styles to each other.
7. Electric Boogaloo and Groovesicle may have the same art styles to each other.
8. Vacuum Friend and Scantron Love have the same art styles to each other, but in the middle of Scantron Love, the style mysteriously changed to look like the style in Jealousy, that episode which it was originally shown with!!

Hey, can anyone look up the episodes on Vimeo and tell what episodes have the same art style to? The styles in Pilot, Parents, and Hair look pretty strange; I can't tell what episodes they look alike to! (Electric Boogaloo would actually look like Summer Camp, too!)

Offline RJfan12

• Bounder
Re: Matching art styles in RJ eps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:06:18 AM »
the most-likely reason would be because of the director per episode. most hand-drawn cartoons are like that. every director has a different style

Offline Wer wie was

• Bounder
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »
Wait, I think "Hair" looks a lot more like the unfinished episode "Obsession" (the one where Robot goes on a talk show), since both "Hair" and "Obsession" look a lot more like the Pilot. And "Electric Boogaloo" kinda looks a bit like "Parents". So I think "Politics" looks kinda strange from other episodes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:31:49 PM by Wer wie was »

Offline Wer wie was

• Bounder
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »
Or yet again I could be wrong. "Safety Patrol" looks 100% more like "Sickness". I have a feeling that "Popularity" actually looks more like "Work".

Offline Wer wie was

• Bounder
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
So let me reconsider the matching styles between episodes.

• PU to PE = Summer Camp
  • Cube Wars = Growth Spurts
  • Embarrassment = Jealousy = Gender = Garage Band = Hookie 101 = Rules of Dating
  • Family Vacation = House Party
  • Math Challenge = The Yogmans Strike Back = School Newspaper
  • Sickness = Safety Patrol
  • Work = Popularity
  • Vacuum Friend = Scantron Love (except that "Scantron Love" changed to look like the style in "Jealousy" toward the middle of the episode)
  • Pilot = Hair = Obsession (Chuck Klein storyboarded both "Hair" and "Obsession", though storyboarded evidence of this exists)
  • Electric Boogaloo = RJ Opening Intro

The ones I consider strange apart from other episodes by style/production design are "Groovesicle", "Parents" and "Politics".

Offline Kartoonfanatic

• Fob
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
I think RJ Fan12 has the most accurate explanation for it. Although I've definitely noticed when episodes look different from each other, and some also look more' refined' than others. (And I hate using that word when it comes to this show.)